Several months ago I started this DIY Bathroom Makeover. Theoretically, it should have been done within two weekends. Or three.
Or three months. Whatever.
Actually, the project itself was officially done within the first 30 days. But it took me another 60 days to find the perfect centerpiece for the bathroom counter. And also I spent that 60 days debating whether I should re-do the gigantic mirror like this instead. Darn you Pinterest. Somewhere in the middle, I also came across this lovely little Pinterest find, and well, I knew I had limited time and patience with which to finish this project. So the quicker and cheaper project prevailed.
However, I love, love, LOVE how it turned out. Actually, once it was all said and done, made me want to re-do every single mirror in this blessed house. So... On with the pictures right?
Well here's the thing, I have pretty nice cabinets. Like two thousand, four hundred, ninety-two of them in this house. But they are definitely NOT my style. My house was built in 2003, back on the tail end of that "honey" oak color that was popular. So although the cabinets themselves are of a decent grade, they are definitely not a color that I am fond of.
Anyway, I was surfing Pinterest one fine Saturday morning when I came across this life-changing post at MonicaWantsIt. Her tutorial on using gel stain on existing cabinets was not only easy to follow, but was exactly the inspiration I needed. I promptly got online, hunted down some General Finishes Java Gel Stain, and got ready to modernize my cabinets for less than $150. I enlisted the help of my sister and her partner, and I promptly began my refinishing project. Initially, I wanted to do the kitchen right off the bat but my husband (thankfully) talked me out of that. He suggested I practice on a room that has much less traffic. That, my friends, is how I began with the bathroom.
So here is what I started with. Note several things. Builder grade mirror. Builder grade light fixtures. Honey-oak cabinets. I must apologize because I did not take very many "before" photos. What can I say, I'm a total amateur at this makeover stuff. I'll do better on my next project.
Ok, so this isn't a tutorial for this project but if you are looking for the tutorial, click here. And because this isn't the tutorial, I am going to spare you all the fun pictures of the junk I hide behind those cabinet doors. I will, however, show you a closeup of one of these cabinet doors after I gave it the "light" sanding per the tutorial. And yes folks, this project really is as simple as the tutorial suggests. No hidden "Pinterest-gone-wrong" here.
So I followed all of the appropriate steps per the tutorial. Three coats of stain. Two coats of poly. Added hardware. Then I found a finish for the mirror and yes, this was an AWESOME and CHEAP bathroom makeover. I do want to repaint the entire bathroom again but, well, my husband doesn't love when I paint even though I don't ask him to help me. So paint is probably out, but at least I am still happy with the way it looks on the whole, so the paint can stay. For now.
And here is the big reveal:
So I mentioned that it took me a long, long time to find the perfect centerpiece for the bathroom counter. I'm not kidding. And the irony of that comment is not lost on me, the fact that I was looking for a centerpiece for a bathroom counter. But seriously, I needed something to break up that huge bathroom counter and even huge-r bathroom mirror. So with a little patience (again, I'm not really good at that stuff) and a whole lot of luck, I came across exactly what I pictured in my mind. Ikea vase, $15. Individual stems from Hobby Lobby (mostly full price because I could not wait for them to go on sale) $65.
And yes, that was the finishing touch.
You may be wondering about the wire shelves I had installed below the cabinet. Yes, now I realize they are not that beautiful, but I am mostly about function and not always about beauty. It's that not-so-soft-and-fluffy part of me. I needed a place to store towels and this was totally wasted space so it worked perfectly.
So.... I have only fourteen rooms that have cabinets in them. And yes, I do plan to refinish the rest of them. Someday.